My hair and I don’t get along very well. For years I have been putting it through trauma, it all started when I was in the 7th grade and I started dumping peroxide on my natural brown locks. Apparently the orange look was in. To date, there has been a few boxed dye incidents, bleaching, every day blow drying, and straightening.
Happy Sunday! It’s been awhile since I’ve baked cupcakes, and after a sad weekend and my plans getting shot (that’s another story), I figured today would be the perfect day to stay in my pajamas and bake. I’ve neglected this blog for far too long, and hope to start posting more. I honestly don’t know how people with full time careers like myself make the time to blog everyday! I definitely won’t be posting every day, but I’m aiming to blog at least once a week. I bet my 10 daily visitors are pretty pumped now.. This site is also in need of a major makeover, so be on the lookout for that! Back to the cupcakes! I had some leftover Oreos from birthday cookies I made for my ex-lover and wanted to use them up so I opted for Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookies and cream frosting. The cake texture is interesting; the top is almost like a brownie, while the inside is soft and moist. Whatever the texture, you really can’t go wrong with chocolate! The frosting is rich and sugary and compliments the cake perfectly. I’ve seen other bloggers put an oreo in the cake, but I figured that’d be overkill. I might try it in the future when I use a vanilla cake. The disappointing part about this is I still have Oreos left. I’m not a fan of eating just plain Oreos, when I was a kid I used to lick out the cream and throw the cookie part away. Where was my Mom when I was doing that? Maybe I can use the rest to make a personal batch of dirt pudding, because we all know that stuff is like crack! If/when you make these cupcakes, prepare for your kitchen to be screwed. My mess is still waiting for me to clean it up!
- 1/2 Cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 Sticks Butter Softened and cubed
- 4 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Self-rising flour
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup plus 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Stick Butter Softened
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp Oreo crumbs finely crushed (About 5 cookies)
- 6 Oreos Cut in half for toppers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 muffin cups.
- Slowly melt the chocolate chips and butter in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water. Stir until mixture is glossy and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, beat with a mixer for 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 10 seconds between each addition. Sift the flour, cocoa, and salt into bowl and beat until blended.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely before piping your frosting.
- For the frosting
- Cream the butter and shortening together with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until thoroughly mixed. Add the vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons of milk, and oreo crumbs; mix well. Pipe onto cupcakes using a 1m open star tip. Garnish with half of an oreo cookie.
Let’s get nostalgic up in here. Just pretend you didn’t jam out to this song back in the day. Try not to dance to it! I may or may not have owned the album..
When it comes to my personal style, I usually stray away from character and graphic designs. I’m almost 30 years old, so you will no longer see me sporting a Hello Kitty tee like you would’ve in my mid-twenties. I don’t have anything against people who wear cartoon graphics, but for me, it’s just too juvenile for my taste. I made a small exception when I saw this sweater in a lookbook from the Forever 21 Barbie collection. I had to have it! To my dismay, it was sold out online, so I went to my local store and they had one left that just so happened to be in my size. It was meant to be! I love this sweater because it’s simple, the typography is catchy and it is surprisingly super soft! I can’t get enough of pink, either. I edged it up a little with my leatherette skater skirt. I’d like to wear this outfit out to an event, because when I had it on to just run errands I got some interesting looks. I’m positive every person I passed in the store looked at me. I found it very humorous.
Sweater: Forever 21| Wedges: Seychelles | Skirt: Rainbow | Jewelry: Vera Wang for Kohl’s & Charlotte Russe | Sunglasses: Pacsun | Hologram Satchel: Aldo